This one is for all my mushroom lovers. Great for breakfast, or lunch, or even at 10pm with your favorite movie and
bottle glass of Malbec. No one’s judging here.
- 16 oz (2 packages) white mushrooms
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup ricotta
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mixed herbs (I used oregano and thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- dash of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Loaf of crusty bread
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, melt stick of butter. You can substitute olive oil, but it makes for crispier mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until soft and brown, about 10-15 minutes. Finish with salt and pepper, scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- While pan is still hot, cut slices of the bread and lightly toast in pan. The residual butter from mushrooms should help it toast.
- In the meantime, mix together the ricotta, cream cheese, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the toast. Generously spread with ricotta mixture and top with the mushrooms. Serve immediately.